Cement is considered as one of the most vital construction elements in modern construction. If the strength of the cement is good, the structure will also be stronger and long-lasting.
The cost of cement is also higher as compared to other construction materials (Coarse aggregates, fine aggregates etc.) and the cement plays an important role in determining the overall project cost.
There are several manufacturers for cement. Be careful before purchasing any cement bag as sometime it is found that the cement bags delivered to jobsite are duplicates. So, it is necessary to verify some basic standard specification prior to purchase cement bags. Given below, the detailed information which are generally printed on a standard cement bag. While buying or obtaining cement bags, these information should be tallied carefully:-
- Check the manufacturer’s name and his registered trade-mark
02. Black colored ISI mark should have been printed on the cement bags. It complies with each requirement of the specifications.
03. The words ‘Ordinary Portland Cement, 53 Grade ’or‘Ordinary Portland Cement, 53-S Grade or Portland Pozzolana Cement whichever is relevant should be mentioned in the bag.
04. Net quantity of cement in kg should vary from 25 Kg, 50 Kg etc.
- Brand of cement
06. Verify the MRP (Maximum Retail Price) of bag
07. The words ‘Use no Hooks’ or symbol should be given in the bag.
- Batch/control unit number regarding week, month and year of packing should be mentioned.
09. Address of the manufacturer should be provided.
10. Type and proportion of performance improver(s) should be included, in a case of inclusion of performance improvers.
- Specific IS code number should have been printed on the cement bags. i.e. if your cement bags belong to OPC 53 grade cement, “IS-12269-1987” should have been printed on the cement bags and for Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC) cement bags, “IS 1489-1991” should be printed on the cement bags.